Diskless Solution software.

Hello guys,
Anyone here now a good stable Diskless software for FREE? i know 1 good CCBoot but the subscription fee is high and i can't afford like that :o so just asking if anyone know an alternative :)
Thanks!

PowerISO or Daemon tools LITE version.  

Spoiler

i7-6700k OC'd 4.5Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1070 SC

Just now, NCIX Lampy said:

What's so funny about my post?

do you even understand what the OP searches for?

both you and the other one recommending PowerISO have no clue

9 minutes ago, zMeul said:

do you even understand what the OP searches for?

both you and the other one recommending PowerISO have no clue

I was making a joke. So relax. I have no idea of free internet cafe-ish software besides CyberCafePro and it looks so dated I am unsure why anyone would use it. 

Spoiler

i7-6700k OC'd 4.5Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1070 SC

35 minutes ago, Ranz said:

Hello guys,
Anyone here now a good stable Diskless software for FREE? i know 1 good CCBoot but the subscription fee is high and i can't afford like that :o so just asking if anyone know an alternative :)
Thanks!

Interesting, haven't thought about this sort of thing in a while. Are you just wanting to use it for one computer or for a bunch of them?  not that I'll have any solution for you, just interested to see what your use will be.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

11 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

Interesting, haven't thought about this sort of thing in a while. Are you just wanting to use it for one computer or for a bunch of them?  not that I'll have any solution for you, just interested to see what your use will be.

Hello, i was planning to use it on 5 dekstop pc in my home.

3 hours ago, Ranz said:

Hello, i was planning to use it on 5 dekstop pc in my home.

Ahh I see, I wish you luck in your search for diskless software, from my understanding of it you would require a server, or PC to act as the server and a few disks/SSDs to do some important tasks for the users. IMO that would invalidate any costs saved by not having disks for the few users you have in mind... but I could be wrong, I'm not experienced in this, just my understanding of it that I've read about.

I think some low cost disks, even second hand would be much cheaper in the long run.I think you could find some fairly cheap HDDS in second hand shops/pawn shops or ebay etc - and if you have somewhere like freegeek it'd be even better. Then if you wanted them to reset every use or whatever you could use sandboxie or similar to to that.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, just that it might be more expensive to do it that way, I do wish you luck in it though and would appreciate it if you kept us appraised of your progress, I would be interested to see how it turns out :)

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

4 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

Ahh I see, I wish you luck in your search for diskless software, from my understanding of it you would require a server, or PC to act as the server and a few disks/SSDs to do some important tasks for the users. IMO that would invalidate any costs saved by not having disks for the few users you have in mind... but I could be wrong, I'm not experienced in this, just my understanding of it that I've read about.

I think some low cost disks, even second hand would be much cheaper in the long run.I think you could find some fairly cheap HDDS in second hand shops/pawn shops or ebay etc - and if you have somewhere like freegeek it'd be even better. Then if you wanted them to reset every use or whatever you could use sandboxie or similar to to that.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, just that it might be more expensive to do it that way, I do wish you luck in it though and would appreciate it if you kept us appraised of your progress, I would be interested to see how it turns out :)

Hi yes.
in fact i have already too many normal hard drive in my home, this pc has already drive and already running. The problem why I want to use diskless is to save me from updating such as steam updates. i'm on a metered bandwidth so i'm not free to download anything whenever i want. I also think my main pc specs can handle acting as a server with this spec: CPU: i7 6700k, RAM: 24gb, 2 SSD (both 120gb) and hard drive of 2.5TB (this does not include the drives from other pc)
if you have any alternate solution base on my case i'm happy if you can share it :)

58 minutes ago, Ranz said:

Hi yes.
in fact i have already too many normal hard drive in my home, this pc has already drive and already running. The problem why I want to use diskless is to save me from updating such as steam updates. i'm on a metered bandwidth so i'm not free to download anything whenever i want. I also think my main pc specs can handle acting as a server with this spec: CPU: i7 6700k, RAM: 24gb, 2 SSD (both 120gb) and hard drive of 2.5TB (this does not include the drives from other pc)
if you have any alternate solution base on my case i'm happy if you can share it :)

Sorry, I'm probably being a bit dense here... do you mean you would like to (if possible) just have the diskless setup so that you only have to download once to the PC/server and then it updates the other PCs?  if not, then if you try and explain it I will try my best to think of a solution/software that might work to do what you want.

I believe it can be done with steam games and updates as explained Here

Seems very straight forward, you could even set up freefilesync to synchronise the folders (mirror), both ways between all computers if you want as long as they have a local network address. I use it all the time to sync my PC/laptops etc folders that I need on all of them, works fairly fast too. I'm sure the same could be done for many things, the only time you may not be able to do this would be with things that have to be installed. But even then I think there is most likely a solution out there somewhere.

I hope that may have helped you, but if not let me know and explain and I'll try to help you if I can :)

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

1 hour ago, paddy-stone said:

Sorry, I'm probably being a bit dense here... do you mean you would like to (if possible) just have the diskless setup so that you only have to download once to the PC/server and then it updates the other PCs?  if not, then if you try and explain it I will try my best to think of a solution/software that might work to do what you want.

I believe it can be done with steam games and updates as explained Here

Seems very straight forward, you could even set up freefilesync to synchronise the folders (mirror), both ways between all computers if you want as long as they have a local network address. I use it all the time to sync my PC/laptops etc folders that I need on all of them, works fairly fast too. I'm sure the same could be done for many things, the only time you may not be able to do this would be with things that have to be installed. But even then I think there is most likely a solution out there somewhere.

I hope that may have helped you, but if not let me know and explain and I'll try to help you if I can :)

Hello yes, i only want to use diskless so that when i update steam games. i don't need to update all pc 1 by 1 right? the last time i used to copy paste entire steam folder to each pc(which consume a lot of time to do it)... sorry if i'm bit confuse i'm just imagining how does internet cafe around here do it. anyway thanks for the link you sent. i'll try it :)

24 minutes ago, Ranz said:

Hello yes, i only want to use diskless so that when i update steam games. i don't need to update all pc 1 by 1 right? the last time i used to copy paste entire steam folder to each pc(which consume a lot of time to do it)... sorry if i'm bit confuse i'm just imagining how does internet cafe around here do it. anyway thanks for the link you sent. i'll try it :)

No worries... if that is all you want to do, then using the Freefilesync

software will do what you need with ease, the problem with copy/pasting is that it is an unintelligent software and will ask you if you want the entire contents replaced at the destination. Using freefilesync, it will compare the files with the destination ones and only replace the ones that have changed, making it faster and needing no user input after you have begun the sync. You can also set it to move files, which is handy if you decided to move some folders/files to make them more manageable or whatever, so it will copy exactly what you do to the MASTER PC if you like. You will need credentials on the other PCS that you want to copy files to of course, if not then you wouldn't have access to those PCs to do anything, so it might be a good idea to try that out first and make sure you have access to the other PCs through the network.. or you can have your master pc create a share, then the other pcs will use your pc as the FROM field when they use freefilesync to copy from. Of those 2 options it would be easiest to do the sync from just the master PC though, it would be best to set it to replicate the entire steam folder I think, so would have to do this for each PC separately in the list of jobs to do, it will take a while first time, and for each major change to the folder too as they can be quite big changes, but at least it will help your downloads to be much much less :)

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini